How your child psychologists in Franklin Square, NY, can help your child with depression
If you have a child, you probably already know how moody children can be. If occasional sadness turns into sadness every day, your child could be suffering from depression, and your child and family psychologist can help.
Dr. Renee Clauselle and Dr. Francyne Zeltser at Child and Family Psychology in Franklin Square, NY, provide a wide range of family psychology services, including treatment of depression in children.
So, how can you tell if your child is suffering from depression? Your child will be sad on most days and can feel hopeless and helpless about life.
These are some of the common signs and symptoms of depression to look out for:
- Feelings of sadness or irritability most days
- Avoiding activities which used to be fun
- Changes in eating or sleeping patterns
- Frequent fatigue, tension, or restlessness
If your child shows any of the signs listed above, it’s time to take action and seek out a child psychologist. Child psychologists are experts at evaluating, diagnosing, and treating mood disorders in children, including depression.
Your child psychologist will perform a thorough evaluation, including recording signs and symptoms, any current medications, illnesses, and other vital information.
Your child psychologist will talk with both you and your child, other family members, your child’s teacher, and other people close to your child. The discussions will center around observations of mood changes, reactions to events or activities, and other signs or symptoms.
If your child does have depression, it’s a condition that is treatable, so your child can feel happy again. Treatments your child psychologist may recommend include:
- Medication therapy to elevate mood and limit depressive feelings
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to teach your child how to reframe negative thoughts into more positive ones
- Behavioral therapy to teach your child how to cope with life in a healthy way
- Family therapy to help family members be more supportive when your child feels depressed
- Lifestyle modification to help your child feel better
To learn more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of childhood depression, call Dr. Renee Clauselle and Dr. Francyne Zeltser at Child and Family Psychology in Franklin Square, NY. You can reach them in the office by calling (516) 750-4841, so call now.